Diversity - Cultural Sensitivity Training
This interactive, participatory session will demonstrate why workplaces emphasizing the importance of managing diversity, valuing employee/client/customer differences, and sensitively responding to both employee and client needs are characterized by:
- high levels of staff morale;
- a working environment free of discrimination and harassment;
- low employee turnover;
- satisfied clients/customers.
Participants will learn:
- how valuing workforce diversity affects bottom-line business issues;
- what culture is and how it impacts perception, behaviour, values;
- why differences affect how people work, want to be managed and manage others;
- to understand where false assumptions stem from so as to overcome biases and prejudice;
- how to improve communication skills;
- about the importance of surfacing, discussing and valuing differences so as to constructively manage workplace conflict;
- how valuing differences prevents workplace discrimination and harassment.
Diversity is readily apparent in Canada's workforce and throughout the general population. It includes a wide range of characteristics such as, but not limited to differences regarding:
race, language, culture, gender, sexual orientation, age, differing physical ability, ethnicity, religion, marital status, parental status, appearance, class, socioeconomic status, educational background, union membership, management status and job experience...
Diversity involves all of the things that make us different from one another.
Exact training content is custom designed to meet client needs.
Workshop content can provide information and activities about:
- Understanding diversity
- Immigration, changing demographics and today's workforce
- Diversity business case
- Creating a healthy workplace by valuing diversity, respecting differences, developing cross-cultural communication skills and cultural sensitivity
- Impact of visible and nonvisible differences on work and communication styles
- Understanding culture
- Culture and communication
- Impact of stereotypes, prejudice, biases, discrimination, harassment, racism
- Resolving diversity related conflict
- Developing a personal Diversity Action Plan